NRS-Online is a comprehensive media registration and intellectual property management
service owned and operated by Sevik, Inc., a Seattle-based company.
NRS-Online has been providing registration services since 1998, and is now a leader in private sector media registration.
A five (5) year subscription to NRS-Online is just twenty dollars ($20).
WHAT IS REGISTRATION ?
Registration is a procedure whereby a registrar, such as NRS-Online,
accepts an item from another entity, such as an individual or business, and then the registrar
records the date and time the item was received
(along with other information), and stores the item in a secure manner such that the item will be preserved for
later authentication, if necessary.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF REGISTRATION ?
Private sector registration was pioneered by the Writer's Guild of America
and, later online, by the National Creative Registry (ProtectRite) as a way of assisting
screenwriters protect their copyrights. In general, registration through a reputable registrar may
be used for several purposes, including, but not limited to:
Registration with a private entity, such as NRS-Online, ProtectRite or the Writer's Guild, is a good way of building a potential evidence
trail that can support particular claims.
- Assisting in establishing a claim to authorship or ownership of intellectual
property (particularly copyrights).
- Demonstrating possession of items or ideas at a certain date and time.
- Establishing a not later than date for signed agreements and other
important documents (physical and electronic), in order to fight allegations of forgery or document tampering.
- Safeguarding documents with a neutral third-party.
HOW DOES ONE REGISTER WITH NRS-ONLINE ?
Registration occurs by depositing an item with NRS in a manner that allows NRS to perform the functions necessary
for registration: 1) accept the item, 2) time stamp when the item was received, 3) store the item in a secure manner
that preserves the item's integrity, and 4) record data pertaining to the registration event.
NRS-Online permits subscribers to deposit items for registration via four modes:
- Uploading a file via the Control Panel.
- Sending an Electronic Mail with the Data to be registered.
- Setting Daily URL Registration settings from within the Control Panel.
- By facsimile.
- By postal mail.
- By scheduled drop-off at NRS or via an NRS agent.
Most NRS-Online registrations occur via the online Control Panel
WHAT MAY BE REGISTERED ?
NRS-Online accepts numerous item types for registration, including but not necessarily limited to
Contact NRS if you have a question concerning
what may and may not be registered.
- Particular physical documents such as, but not limited to, scripts, reports, books, notebooks, printed logs
and other compilation printings,
drawings and individual single sheets of paper (notes, receipts, invoices, etc.).
- Electronic Files.
- Storage media such as compact disks (CD), digital video disks (DVD), cassette tapes,
VHS/BETA tapes, film, floppy diskettes, backup tapes and hard drives.
- Photographs and negatives.
WHAT MAY NOT BE REGISTERED ?
- Containers of items - each item has to be separately registered, mass registration is
For example, a firm may register one hundred (100) physical reports, but not
as a single registration sent as a box containing one hundred (100) reports.
Each report has to be registered separately with an accompanying registration form.
(However, a single CD containing one hundred (100) reports is acceptable.
In that case, the registered item is the CD.)
- Domain names - NRS-Online is not a domain name registration service.
To register domain names, please visit
Sevik Domain Services.
- Physical items not typically used to store intellectual property or information
such as, but not limited to, furniture, non-recording mechanical, electro-mechanical
or mechanical devices, clothing,
tools, liquids, gasses, foods and natural products.